Data-Analyst.org is a blog by Dr Nils Koesters FRSA (actually Nils Kösters) about technology, data collection, data analysis and data visualisation using data you can collect at home or from somewhere else just to entertain yourself or stay inquisitive about the world around you.
My background is computing, and research and I also was a partner, business analyst in a care home for 10 years.
Currently I am working as a director of Datafakts Ltd on Public Health Issues in Scotland.
My PhD at the British Library. It deals with Mathematical and Computational Modelling in Evolutionary Ecology.
My undergrad is in zoology, ecology, landscape engineering, and wild animal biology (that’s big mammals, like bears, wolves etc).
I am a Fellow of the Royal Society for the encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce
Online Courses (MOOCs) with Certificates:
- Natural Language Processing with Probabilistic ModelsYounes Bensouda Mourri, Łukasz Kaiser,Eddy Shyu, Deeplearning.ai
- Natural Language Processing with Sequence ModelsYounes Bensouda Mourri, Łukasz Kaiser,Eddy Shyu, Deeplearning.ai
- Natural Language Processing with Classification and Vector SpacesYounes Bensouda Mourri, Łukasz Kaiser,Eddy Shyu, Deeplearning.ai
- Infectious Disease Modelling Specialisation Nimalan Arinaminpathy, Imperial College London
- Building on the SIR Model Nimalan Arinaminpathy, Imperial College London
- Interventions and Calibration Nimalan Arinaminpathy, Imperial College London
- Developing the SIR Model Nimalan Arinaminpathy, Imperial College London
- Introduction to Satellite Communications Laurent Franck, Mines-Télécom
- Spatial Data Science and Applications Joon Heo, Yonsei University, Seoul
- Geospatial and Environmental Analysis Nick Santos, University of California, Davis
- GIS Data Formats, Design and Quality Nick Santos, University of California, Davis
- Fundamentals of GIS Nick Santos, University of California, Davis
- Exploring and Preparing your Data with BigQuery Google
- DEEP Learning Specialization Deeplearning.ai Coursera
- Sequence Models Andrew Ng, Stanford University
- Convolutional Neural Networks Andrew Ng, Stanford University
- Structuring Machine Learning Projects Andrew Ng, Stanford University
- Improving Deep Neural Networks: Hyperparameter tuning, Regularization and Optimization Andrew Ng, Stanford University
- Neural Networks and Deep Learning Andrew Ng Stanford University
- Machine Learning Andrew Ng, Stanford University
- Computing for Data Analysis Roger D. Peng, John Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
- Discrete Optimization Pascal Van Hentenryck, University of Melbourne
- Computational Investing Tucker Balch, Georgia Institute of Technology
I furthered my knowledge also with these courses, as I was interested after the financial crisis, how it all happened:
- Derivative Pricing – Anke Wiese – Herriot Watt
- Matlab Programming – Gabriel Lord – Heriot Watt
- Financial Markets – Dr Bing Xu – Heriot Watt
- Data Mining and Machine Learning – Dave Corne – Heriot Watt
Various Publications, I was part of:
- 2020 Nils Koesters, Andrena Mcmenemy,Yohan Belanger, SIMULATING EPIDEMICS WITH A SIRD MODEL AND TESTING WITH BENFORD’S LAW A PREPRINT
- 2020 Andrena McMenemy, Nils Koesters, Christine Johnson Report “Deafness: Predicting the future for Scotland – The Census and beyond“, for deafscotland and Queen Margaret University Edinburgh
- 2020 Nils Koesters, Andrena McMenemy Report: “An estimate of the number of people in Scotland with hearing loss aged 68 years or over in 2020” for deafscotland and the “Redress and Survivor Relations Division” of the Scottish Government for the Scottish Child Abuse Inquiry
- 2020 Andrena McMenemy, Christine Johnson LifeChanges Trust funded Reseach: “Deafness and Dementia: Predicting the future for Scotland” for deafscotland and Queen Margaret University Edinburgh
- 2006 Andrew P Beckerman, Tim G Benton, Craig T Lapsley and
Nils Kösters How effective are maternal effects at having
effects?, Proc. R. Soc. B 22 February 2006 vol. 273 no.
- 2004 Buckland, S., Newman, K., Thomas, L. and Kösters, N.
State-space models for the dynamics of wild animal populations., Ecological Modelling 171 (1-2)
- 2003 Kösters, N. and Buckland, S. Developing a management
strategy for Sika Deer in Scotland. Technical report, CREEM
- 2003 Beckerman , A.P., Benton, T.G., C.T. Lapsley, and Kösters,
N. Talkin’ Bout My Generation – Environmental Variability
and Cohort Effects. American Naturalist, 162 (6), 1-14
- 2002 Buckland, S, Kösters, N., Newman, K. and Atkinson, R.
Inference for stochastic process models: incorporating model
uncertainty. Proceedings of the International Conference of
Biometrics, Freiburg Germany, 2002
- 2001 Foster, R. Free Press, Article about software developed by Kösters, N. and Owens, D., LinuxUser/July-August.
- 1999 Kösters, N. and Michael Böckl, Perspectives for biologists
using the Internet. ISBN: 3-9806803-0-4
- 1999 Kösters, N. www.biocrawler.com/www.biologie.de; A web
portal for biologists. Biologists today; VdBiol 445 ISSN 1432-
- 1996 Mommertz, S., Schauer, C., Kösters, N., Lang, A. and
Filser, J. A comparison of D-Vac suction, fenced and un-
fenced pitfall trap sampling of epigeal arthropods in agroe-
cosystems. Annales Zoologica Fennici 33, 117-124 Press}
I, Nils Koesters, am not affiliated with any products mentioned on these pages.
This blog does not have and never had personalised user data. User access is disabled.